4.21.2010

[one fish, two fish...]

fish1
I was delighted to find the current summer Garnet Hill catalog in the mail this past week. Back in November I worked on several fish softies that would be used as props to accompany the Garnet Hill kid's summer 2010 collection and I've been dying to see them in action ever since.
fish2
The lovely and talented Kendra Smoot (an old New York acquaintance and recent referral from Brooke) contacted me shortly after the nautical Halloween post where I had thrown together some very basic, primitive looking fish for Little A's goodie bag. To my delight she asked me if I could do something similar for an upcoming shoot she would be styling. I of course readily agreed.
fish3
While residing in NY, some years ago, I had worked here and there as a stylist assistant to the fabulous Jane Fife for Garnet Hill and was excited to be working for this company again. In another lifetime I would love to do what these fantastic ladies do.
fish4
Kendra picked out the darling vintage inspired fabrics from Mood and I came up with the various fish patterns based on what she needed for the shoot. Kendra styled the absolutely adorable on-location shoots and I believe the incredible Amy Chin styled the still life shots (aren't those waves so cute?! Not to mention the cons! Little A just might have to sport the gray ones).
fish5
It felt great to be working away on a deadline that involved the sewing machine and not the drawing table or computer. Very refreshing and very fulfilling. I just might have found a new niche. Thanks ladies for letting me be a part of your wonderful work!

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photoshoot! Absolutely adorable. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me encantan estos pescados, han quedado muy bien en las fotos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to be a part of something like that! Your fish and the shoot look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute Merrilee! And I'm so glad it all worked out with Kendra.. happy to be of help getting you two together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I love the fish, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this! fantastic idea for a shoot and your fish are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant!! It's nice to see your stuff in catalog or stores, isn't it? I nearly bumped into some dinnerware I designed a few weeks ago, surprise!

    Your fish rock! You are one talented lady. I also like your "love this look" feature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun collaboration! the fish are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how adorable and creative!

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these fish!!!
    Makes me want to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how funny, stumbled upon your blog and we have just bought fish and I was thinking, I wonder how hard it would be to make a fish plushie and now that I've seen yours, I am truly inspired to try, these are beautiful! love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! These fish are lovely, beautiful photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats on the project. looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! Especially because I was looking through that catologue recently and the fish were what caught my eye. I even thought to myself, 'Merrilee would make something like that'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mer Mer you are sooooo AWESOME!!!

    I got my catalog today and so much fun I will have to save it and brag to my friends that I have the coolest sister ever!!

    Did you get to keep the fish or are they owned by Garnet Hill?

    ReplyDelete
  16. m

    you rocked those fish, what an amazing job!
    so fun to collaborate, lets do it more often. and you would make a killer stylist.
    love reading the blog, want to run out this second to home depot to get hardboard for a geometric puzzle for stella, what an amazing idea. you are a creative genius!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the inspiration. I made some and linked you on my blog. These are so cool.
    aanderud.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete